Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Ruffles Loaded Chili and Cheese

I picked these up because chili cheese fries are awesome, but I don't have them that often.  What if I could recreate the chili cheese fries experience in a potato chip?!  The possibilities are nearly endless.

The bag informed me that these chips are loaded with flavor.  "Chili? Check. Cheese? Heck yeah. Onions and peppers. Bingo."  I'm very interested to see how they handle onions and peppers when chili and cheese are strong flavors.  The chips are nearly orange in places with the same green onion flakes that sour cream and onion chips have.

But what do they taste like?
More like chili than cheese and they're kinda spicy!  To be honesty, despite these chips being practically orange, I didn't get to much of a cheese flavor in 'em.  What they do taste like is dipping a chip into chili and then eating it.  Chili that is kind of spicy!  Keep in mind though, I have the spice tolerance of a fetus - which is to say I am bad with spicy things.  Still, putting aside the fact that my mouth got a little burn-y, these are pretty good.    They don't live up to the 'cheese' part of chili and cheese, but they definitely get the chili part.  I also didn't really get the 'peppers' flavoring unless it was the spiciness.  Definitely tasted the onions though and maybe a hint of the famed cheese.  After eating a bunch of them I started to lose the distinct chili taste that I originally tasted and it took on more of a spicy aftertaste.  It was the only thing I could taste for awhile.

When asked, my roommate tasted them and said: "Yeah... definitely chili.  I can taste a bit of the cooked peppers, but... definitely chili".  So make of that what you will!

Would I get them again?  No, probably not.  I think Ruffles chips, no matter the flavor, always taste like greasy Ruffles chips, if that makes any kind of sense.  Basically, no matter what flavor it says on the bag, Ruffles chips will always end up tasting like greasy potato chips.  And that's not super appealing to me!  Still - they don't taste bad - they just weren't winners in my book.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment