Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Doritos Spicy Sweet Chili

I'm starting to see these everywhere now, so I don't know if they're as strange as some, but I haven't tried 'em so they're strange to me.  I shall allow it!  Some of my friends get these all the time, so I figure they can't be too bad, but who knows really.  Well... me... I'm about to know.
The bag is purple and they smell a little nacho cheese-y.  I also think the font changes on the bag are kinda silly... do spicy and sweet need to be different fonts?  I know they're different things.  It's okay, Doritos.

But what do they taste like?
At first a bit like nacho cheese.  Then there's an intense sweetness with some added spice to it.  These are actually a lot sweeter than I was expecting.  I think what's odd for me is how distinct the flavors are - the spicy is one thing and the sweet is another and they don't necessarily play well together.  It's like eating two chips in one.  I guess there's a bit of chili in the spicy, but I think these chips suffer a bit from 'sweet' and 'spicy' not being flavors.  So... yes.. they're sweet and spicy, but what am I tasting?

The sweet... is almost a bit like too sweet BBQ sauce?  And the spicy is that generic 'mouth burn' that seems to be found everywhere.  There's the tiniest bit of smokiness on the first bite, but after that it's the weird sweet/spicy combo.  The flavor also doesn't last super long - I'm left tasting plain Dorito after a few chews.
Honestly... I'm kinda disappointed with these.  I'm not sure what I thought they'd taste like, but these missed the mark for me.  I think it's the very sweet taste not mixing particularly well with the spicy that's throwing me off.  Perhaps if they were combined better, rather than two separate flavors? I'm not sure.  If you're really into sweet and also spicy then give these a shot, but I don't think I'll be switching from Cool Ranch.

Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment